Each sugar-coated tablet contains:
Hyoscine Eutyibromlde BP 10 mg.
Each ml contains:
Hyoscine Butylbromide BP 20 mg.
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start taking this medicine because it contains important information for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• If you have further questions, ask your doctor or your pharmacist.
• This medicine has been prescribed for you only. Do not pass it onto others. It may harm them, even if their signs of illness are the same as yours.
• If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This Includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet.
What is in this leaflet?
• What are Buscopan Tablets & Ampoules?
• What are the indications for Buscopan?
• What should be the dose of Buscopan?
• What are the contraindications of Buscopan?
• What are the adverse effects of Buscopan?
• Other informatlon for Buscopan?
What are Buscopan Tablets & Ampoules?
Buscopan tablets are sugar-coated, round and white in colour. Each tablet contains 10 mg of the active ingredient Hyoscine-N-butyl bromide.
Buscopan Ampoules are clear glass ampoules containing a colourless or almost colourless clear solution. Each ampoule contains 20 mg of the active ingredient Hyoscine-N-butyl bromide.
What are the indications for Buscopan?
Buscopan tablets & Ampoules contain Hyoscine-N-butyl bromide as its active ingredient.
This belongs to a group of medicines called ‘antispasmodics’.
Buscopan are used to relieve cramps in the muscles:
• Gut (intestine)
• Bladder and the tubes leading to the outside of your body (urinary system)
What should be the dose of Buscopan?
Adults and Children 12 years or over:
The recommended starting dose is 1 tablet three times daily; this can be increased up to 2 tablets four times daily if necessary.
Children under 12 years:
If you take more Buscopan Tablets than you should:
• Talk to a doctor or go to a hospital straight away. Take the medicine pack with you even if there are no Buscopan tablets left.
If you forget to take Buscopan Tablets:
• If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is time for the next dose, skip the missed dose.
• Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
Buscopan Tablets are administered as:
•Take your tablets with water.
• Do not break crush or chew the tablets
Always take your medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure. Buscopan tablets should not be taken continuously for long periods of time.
Buscopan Ampoules are administered as:
Buscopan Ampoules may be given in two ways:
• By being slowly injected into a vein.
• By an injection into a muscle.
Buscopan Ampoules may be diluted with other solutions if needed.
What are the contraindications of Buscopan?
Check with your doctor or pharmacist before having this medicine if:
• You have any heart problems
• You have a fever
• You have problems with your thyroid gland such as an overactive thyroid gland. If you are not sure if any of the above applies to you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before receiving Buscopan tablet.
Taking other medicines with Buscopan
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines. This includes medicines obtained without a prescription and herbal medicines. This is because Buscopan tablet can affect the way some other medicines work. In addition, some other medicines can affect the way Buscopan tablets work. In particular, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any of the following:
• Medicines for depression called ‘tricyclic antidepressants’ such as doxepin
• Medicines for allergies and travel sickness called ‘antihistamines’
• Medicines to control your heart beat such as quinidine or disopyramide
• Medicines for severe mental illness such as haloperidol or fluphenazine
• Medicines for breathing problems such as salbutamol, ipratropium or tiotropium
• Amantadine – for Parkinson’s disease and flu
• Metoclopramide – for feeling sick (nausea) if you are not sure if any of the above applies to you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before receiving Buscopan Ampoules.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
You should not be given Buscopan tablets if you are pregnant, likely to get pregnant or are breast-feeding.
Driving and using machines
Some people may have sight problems while taking this medicine. If this happens to you, wait until your sight returns to normal before driving or using any tools or machines.
What are the adverse effects of Buscopan?
Stop taking your medicine and see a doctor straight away, if you notice any of the following serious side effects. You may need urgent medical treatment:
• Allergic reactions such as skin rash and itching
• Severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) such as difficulty breathing, feeling faint or dizzy (shock)
• Painful red eye with loss of vision
Other side effects
• Dry mouth
• Blurred vision
• Making less sweat than usual
• Increased heart rate
• Small blisters on hands and feet
• Being unable to pass water (urine)
• Low blood pressure, for example feeling faint
Pain at the place you had the injection may occur if you have been given Buscopan injection into a muscle. Although unlikely in certain circumstances it may be possible that Buscopan may pass into the brain and cause side effects, for example confusion.
If any of the side effects gets troublesome or serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Other information for Buscopan?
• Do not take this medicine after the expiry date which is printed on the packaging
• Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help protect the environment.
Buscopan Tablets – Pack of 100’s sugar coated tablets.
Buscopan Injection – Pack of 30’s ampoules.
Store below 30 °C.
Protect from light, heat and moisture.
Keep all medicines out of the reach of children.
Store below 30°C.
Protect from light & heat.
Keep all medicines out of the reach of children.
Merck (Private) Limited,
7, Jail Road, Quetta, Pakistan.
Under licence of
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma,
GmbH & Co. KG Germany.