CIMETIDINE USP 400MG CAPLETS
Please read right through this leaflet before you start using this medicine.
Kriscet-400 caplets (Cimetidine USP 400mg caplets) belong to a group of medicines called H2-receptor antagonists which act to decrease the natural production of acid in the stomach.
1. KRISCET-400 HAVE BEEN PRESCRIBED TO TREAT ANY OF THE FOLLOWING
Ulcers in the stomach or duodenum which may be caused by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs OFTEN USED TO REDUCE PAIN, FEVER AND INFLAMATION).
Acid from the stomach escaping into the fluid pipe causing pain, inflamation and heartburn (easophageal reflux disease).
Excess acid in the stomach caused by a tumor in the pancreas (Zolinger- Elison syndrome).
Various conditions where reduction of gastric by cimetidine has been shown to be beneficial e.g.
• Indigestion symptoms (e.g. stomach pain or discomfort, heartburn)
• Meal-related upper abdominal pain,
• To prevent stress ulcers from bleeding,
• To be given before general anaesthesia to prevent damage to the lungs caused by breathing in stomach fluids (acids aspiration),
• To improve absorption of food and reduce fluid loss in short bowel syndrome,
• Reduction of breakdown of pancreatic enzyme supplements.
2. BEFORE YOU TAKE KRISCET-400
Consult your doctor before taking Kriscet-400:
• If you suffer or have suffered in the past from kidney or liver disease.
• If you have a history of peptic ulcer; particularly if you are taking a non-steroidal anti-Inflammatory drug (NSAID) e.g. Asprin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Diclofenac.
• If you are taking drugs or you have an illness that could cause a fall in blood cell count.
• If you are middle aged or over; with new or recently changed indigestion symptoms (e.g. stomach pain or discomfort, heartburn), other causes of your symptoms such as stomach cancer, should be excluded.
Ask your doctor for advice before taking Kriscet-400 if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant or if you are breastfeeding.
Taking other medicines
Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines even those not prescribed
• Anticoagulants (to thin your blood) e.g. warfarin.
• Anticonvulsants (to prevent fits) e.g. phenytoxin.
• Bronchodilators (for breathing difficulties) e.g. theophylline.
• Anti-arrhythmics (to slow heart rate) e.g. indocaine.
• Immunodepressants (to prevent transplant rejection) e.g. cyclosporine.
3. HOW TO TAKE KRISCET-400
The usual dosage is 400mg to 160mg per day, in divided doses. Do not take more that 2400mg per day. If you suffer from kidney or liver problems, you may require a lower dose. The usual duration of treatment is 4-8 weeks. The tablets should be taken with meals and at bedtime and swallowed whole with a glass of water. Unless specifically directed by your physician. In the event of an accidental overdose, contact your nearest hospital’s casualty department or tell your doctor immediately. Take your tablet pack with you.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, kriscet-400 cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Allergic reactions may occur rarely, with symptoms such as rash, itching, swelling of the face, wheeziness, shortness of breath, tightness in the chest, fever, low blood pressure and feeling dizzy particularly when standing up. If any of these occur STOP taking the medicine and contact a doctor immediately.
Side effects that have been reported: diarrhea, skin rash, tiredness, breast enlargement in men, hair loss and confusion.
Hallucination, liver disorders (characterized mainly by sore throat, ulcers in the mouth and throat, unusual tiredness or weakness, unusual bleeding, unexplained bruises).
Many of the above mentioned side effects should disappear when treatment is stopped.
Tell your doctor if you have any other unwanted side effect not mentioned above.
Do not store above 25oC. Keep out of reach and sight of children.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
CAPLETS: 1 X 2O CAPLETS
NAFDAC REG. NO: A4-9283
KRISHAT PHARMA IND. LTD.
9 Kilometer, Old Lagos Road,
Podo Ibadan, Nigeria.