Zinc Oxide, Bismuth Oxide, Bismuth Subgallate, Balsam Peru
• This medicine is used for the relief of internal piles and other related conditions.
• This medicine is for use in persons over the age of 18 years.
Do not use this medicine:
• If you are allergic to Anusol or any of the other ingredients of this medicine. See section 6.
Speak to your doctor:
• If you have rectal bleeding or blood in the stool which has not been diagnosed as piles. See section 2.
• Follow the instructions on how to use this product carefully. See section 3.
Now read this whole Leaflet carefully before you use this medicine. Keep the leaflet: you might need it again.
1. What the medicine is for
Anuso Suppositories help to relieve the swelling, itch arid irritation of internal piles (haemorrhoids) and other related conditions, such as anal itching. It contains the following ingredients:
Zinc oxide and Bismuth salts are mildly astringent and antiseptic. They soothe and protect raw areas. Balsam Peru is mildly antiseptic and has a protective action on sore areas and may help healing.
This product is for use by adults over the age of 18 years.
2. Before using this medicine
This medicine is suitable for most people but a few people should not use it. If you are in any doubt, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Do not use this medicine…
• If you are allergic to Anusol or any of the other ingredients of this medicine (listed in section 6).
If this applies to you, get advice from a doctor or pharmacist without using Anusol.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist…
• If you have rectal bleeding or blood in the stool or if you are in doubt whether any bleeding you have experienced is caused by piles.
If any of these bullet pints apply to you, talk to a doctor or pharmacist.
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding
• If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, only use this medicine on the advice of your doctor.
3. How to use this medicine
Anusol Suppositories should be inserted into the anus
• Wash anal area and dry gently with a soft towel before using this medicine.
• Remove plastic cover from the suppository before use.
• Wash your hands before and after using Anusol.
• The suppository will melt after insertion.
Persons under 18 years:
This medicine is not recommended for persons under 18 years old.
Adults and the elderly:
|Adults and the elderly||Insert one suppository into the back passage (anus) far enough so that it doesn’t slip out, at night, in the morning and after each bowel movement.|
|Do NOT take orally|
If anyone has used too much or swallowed this product.
If anyone has used too much or has accidentally swallowed Anusol Suppositories, contact a doctor or your nearest Accident and Emergency department (Casualty), taking this leaflet and pack with you.
If you forget to use this medicine
If you forget a dose, use the next dose when needed. Do not use a double dose.
4. Possible side-effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
If you experience the following, stop using the medicine and talk to your doctor:
Rare: may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people
• Hypersensitivity reactions (such as rash).
Other effects which may occur but it is unknown how often:
• Burning, redness, irritation, itching, or pain may occur on application. This does not usually last a long time, so if this lasts longer than a few days, tell your doctor.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard
The following details are applicable for Malta:
The Medicines Authority
203 Level 3, rue D’Argens
By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. Storing this medicine
Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not store above 25°C.
Do not use your medicine after the date shown as an expiry date on the packaging.
Do not throw away any medicine via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
6. Further information
What is in this medicine?
The active substances are per 100 g: Zinc oxide 296mg, Bismuth subgallate 59mg, Balsam Peru 49mg, Bismuth oxide 24mg.
Other ingredients are: Kaolin light, suppocire BS2 pastilles (hard fat), titanium dioxide (E171), miglyol 812.
What the medicine Looks like
Anusol Suppositories are white suppositories available in plastic strips with either two strips (12 suppositories) or four strips (24 suppositories) in a box.
Product Licence holder: McNeil Products Ltd Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 3UG, UK.
Manufacturer: Farmea, 10, rue Bouché Thomas, ZAC Sud d’Orgemont, 49000 ANGERS Cedex, France.
This leaflet was revised November 2015.
Anusol is a registered trade mark.