Cimetidine Tablets 400mg
Each uncoated tablet contains:
Cimetidine B.P. 400 mg
• Treatment and maintenance therapy of active duodenal ulcer.
• Treatment of benign gastric ulcers.
• Treatment of reflux oesophagitis.
• Treatment of pathological hypersecretory conditions (Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome).
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Cimetidine should be administered preferably with meals or at bed time. Doses should be adjusted to individual patient needs & should continue as long as clinically indicated. As directed by the physician.
Active duodenal ulcer: 200 mg thrice daily for 4-6 weeks.
Maintenance therapy for duodenal ulcer: 400mg once or twice daily for 6 months.
Active benign gastric ulcer: 300 mg four times a day.
Reflux oesophagitis: 400mg t.i.d. for 4-6 weeks.
Pathological hypersecretory conditions (such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome): 300 mg four times a day or as directed by the physician.
Cimetidine competitively inhibits the action of histamine at the H2 receptor antagonist.
1. Acid Secretion: Noctumal: Cimetidine 800 mg orally at bed time reduces mean hourly H+ activity by greater than 85% over an eight hour period in duodenal ulcer Patients, with no effect on day time acid secretion.
2. Pepsin: Oral Cimetidine 300 mg reduced total pepsin output as a result of the decrease in volume of gastric juice.
3. Intrinsic Factor: Intrinsic factor secretion was studied with betazole as a stimulant, oral cimetidine 300mg inhibited the rise in Intrinsic factor concentration produced by betazole, but some intrinsic factor was secreted at all times.
Cimetidine is rapidly absorbed after oral administration and peak levels occur in 45-90 minutes. The half life is approximately 2 hours. The principal route of excretion is through urine. Following a single oral dose, 48% of the drug is recovered from the urine after 24 hours as the parent compound.
Store in a cool, dry and dark place.
Keep out of the reach of children.
• Packs of 1000’s caplets in HDPE Bottles.
• 10 Blister strips of 10 caplets in a unit carton.
• Blister strip of 20 caplets in a unit carton.
Unicure Pharmaceutical Ltd.
Ikofa Village, Lagos – Benin Expressway, Ijebu-Ode,
Ogun State, Nigeria.